Directory Cover Art Competition
"I couldn’t believe that they chose mine - out of all of the incredibly talented artists in our community. I was shocked and overjoyed."
- Robyn Scott - 2020/21 Directory cover art winner NWT
Northwestel is proud to support a thriving and diverse northern arts community.
For more than 30 years, artwork created by northern artists has been a staple for the covers of Northwestel phone directories. From stunning northern landscapes to richly coloured cultural designs, Northwestel directory cover art is as varied and diverse as the northern artists who create it. Each year, three selected cover artists are awarded prize money of $5000 each, (increased from $3000 this year) and have their winning artwork featured on the directory cover for their region. Northwestel directories help northerners in every community to connect with each other. It’s one way we’re helping to build a stronger North – where everyone can prosper and thrive.
Directory Art Contest Legal
Northwestel 2021/2022 Directory Art Contest
OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS (the “Rules”)
1. The Northwestel 2021/2022 Directory Art Contest (the “Contest”) starts at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on September 2, 2020 and closes on October 4, 2020 at 12:00 a.m. (midnight) PT (the “Contest Period”). No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.
2. The Contest sponsor is Northwestel Inc. (hereinafter referred to as the “Contest Sponsor”).
3. To enter and to be eligible to win, entrant must be a legal resident of Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Northern British Columbia or Yukon, comprised within the Northwestel operating area (www.nwtel.ca/ourmap) and be of the age of majority in the province or territory in which he/she resides. Employees of the Contest Sponsor, its agents, parent, affiliated or related companies, subsidiaries, divisions, prize sponsors, promotional and advertising agencies or of any other entity involved in the development, production, administration, or fulfilment of the Contest, are ineligible to enter. Persons whose work has appeared on a Northwestel directory cover in the 2017/2018 edition or any subsequent editions are not eligible to enter
4. TO ENTER the Contest during the Contest Period: (i) visit the web site located at www.nwtel.ca/artcontest, click on the Contest page, and complete and submit your entry by following the instructions found on the Contest page. All Entries must include your first and last name, address, ten-digit daytime telephone number, email address, as well as a short biography of yourself, a description of the artwork (including dimensions, medium and title), and one (1) unique and original photo of your artwork (the “Photo”) (together, the “Entry”). The Entry must comply with the Submission Guidelines set out in Section 9 below. Limit of two (2) Entries per individual during the Contest Period. For clarity, the artwork featured in the Photo with each Entry submitted must be different (you cannot submit the same artwork twice). Entries shall be deemed to be submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Illegible Entries are ineligible. If it is discovered that you attempted to enter more than the above limit, only your first Entry will be eligible for entry.
5. PRIZE. There is a total of three (3) prizes (the “Prize(s)”) available to be won, one (1) Prize for each of the following regions :
Yukon/ British Columbia.
6. Prizes must be accepted as awarded. Prizes may not be sold or transferred. Contest Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a Prize in whole or in part in the event that all or any components of a Prize are unavailable.
7. WINNERS SELECTION. On October 10, 2020 from 09:00 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. PT, a panel of judges appointed by the Contest Sponsor(the “Judges”) will review all eligible Entries submitted during the Contest Period for each applicable region (Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Yukon/British Columbia). Each Entry shall be assigned a score on the basis of the following equally-weighted criteria: (i) uniqueness and originality of artwork, (ii) creativity, and (iii) skill level of talent in order for the Judges to provide a ranking list from high to low scores (the “Judges’ Ranking”). The Entry with the highest score for each region will be eligible to win a Prize. The odds of winning a Prize will depend on the total number and caliber of all eligible entries received for each region during the Contest Period. In the case of a tie, the entry scored highest on criteria (i) uniqueness and originality of artwork, from amongst the tying entries, will become an eligible Prize winner. Decisions of the Judges are final and binding. Judging is scheduled to be completed on October 10, 2020 at 04:00 p.m. PT. Northwestel Inc., acting reasonably, will attempt to contact each potential Prize winner to notify potential winner that he or she may have won by October 16, 2020. Entrants who were not selected as Prize winners will not be contacted. In the event that a potential winner cannot be contacted by October 16, 2020, he/she may be disqualified (and could forfeit all rights to the Prize) and the Contest Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to select an alternate potential Prize winner, based on the next score from the Judges’ Ranking in accordance with these Rules (in which case the foregoing provisions of this section shall apply to such new eligible Prize winner). Proof of identification must be provided upon request. In the event an entrant is selected as a winner, he/she will be required to maintain confidentiality of their selection as a winner until the official winner announcement event held by the Contest Sponsor.
Each prize consists of five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) CAD, awarded in the form of a cheque. In addition to the above, each artwork submitted as part of a winning Entry may be published on the cover of the Northwestel’s 2021/2022 directory for the selected winner’s geographic region. For such purposes, if selected as a Prize winner, each entrant agrees to the following: (i) transfer of the artwork submitted as part of his/her Contest Entry to the Contest Sponsor ; (ii) reproduction of the artwork for the purposes of its inclusion in the directory; (iii) additional reproductions (up to 150 photographic reproductions), to be signed, numbered and titled by the selected winner; (iv) featuring of the winner’s artwork on the Contest Sponsor’s corporate website, promotional posters, wall calendars, art cards or other printed materials. Publication of any selected winner’s artwork is at the entire discretion of the Contest Sponsor; under no circumstances will the Contest Sponsor have any obligation to publish any selected winner’s artwork in the manner described above.
8. Before being awarded a Prize, each potential Prize winner will be required to sign and return within the time stipulated by the Contest Sponsor an agreement setting out, among other things, that he/she has read and understood these Rules, grants all consents (including in relation to the transfer and reproduction of his/her artwork as contemplated above at paragraph 5), authorizes the Contest Sponsor to broadcast, publish and disseminate his/her name, city of residence, photograph, likeness, sobriquet and voice, in connection with any promotion or publicity, and/or for general news, entertainment and information purposes at no additional compensation to the potential winner, beyond the awarding of or participation in the Prize, accepts the applicable Prize as offered and releases the Contest Sponsor from any and all liability of any kind arising out of the potential winner’s participation in this Contest and receipt and use of the Prize. In the event that a potential winner does not comply with all the provisions as contemplated in these Rules, Contest Sponsor shall have the right to disqualify such potential winner and choose an alternate potential winner, and the Contest Sponsor shall be fully and completely released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard. The provisions and procedures referred to above relating to selection and notification of a potential winner shall be applied with the necessary amendments until all qualified winners have been duly selected, but in any event, no later than October 31, 2020.
9. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES. All elements of the Entry (including the artwork, Photo, description and biography) must be original. The Photo submitted must be of high quality and must properly and clearly allow to see the artwork. Photo must be in JPEG/JFIF, JPEG 200, TIFF, PNG, PDF format. Accepted forms of art works for the purposes of this Contest are:
two-dimensional, hand-rendered artwork such as acrylic, oil, watercolour, silkscreen, etc.; or
two-dimensional digital visual art works, such as digital painting and drawing (using tools like a stylus and tablet to paint/draw], computer-generated still imagery (“CGI” – using computer graphics, coding etc. to create 2D or 3D images), digital collage or photo manipulation; or
three-dimensional works, such as sculptures and carvings.
Photography as an art form is excluded from the accepted works of art for the purposes of this Contest. The artwork cannot already have been previously published, reproduced in any format or exhibited. The entrant should not have future plans or commitments to sell, publish, reproduce or exhibit the artwork featured in the Photo. The Photo, artwork it features and the artwork description must not include any third party’s proprietary content, including trademarks or copyrighted content. Contest Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify any entrant who uses third party proprietary content, at any time. Contest Sponsor further reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to edit any part of any Entry to blur out trademarks or to remove copyrighted third-party content. Contest Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entry that involves anything illegal, potentially or actually dangerous or harmful or containing any element of physical risk, at any time. Any Entry that involves a third party that does not choose to be part of the Entry may also be disqualified. Entries must not include any illegal, defamatory or in any way obscene content. Entries cannot be a parody or derogatory. By entering this Contest, each entrant (i) represents and warrants that his/her Entry is his or her original work and does not infringe on any third party’s copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights; (ii) represents and warrants that he/she has all necessary rights from any third party that appears, or is mentioned, in the Entry, including those from the parent or legal guardian if third party is under the age of majority; (iii) grants the Contest Sponsor an unlimited, royalty-free, irrevocable, right and license to post the Photo, the artwork description and biography on the Contest Sponsor’s online platforms for viewing by the public; (iv) waives all moral rights in any elements forming part of the Entry in favour of the Contest Sponsor; (v) agrees to release, indemnify, discharge and hold harmless the Contest Sponsor from any claim or liability arising from or related to the Entry and/or his/her participation in this Contest. Contest Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any claims relating to infringement of the right of privacy with respect to any Entry.
10. By entering this Contest, the entrants and participants automatically agree to accept and abide by these Rules. All decisions of the Contest Sponsor with respect to any aspect of this Contest, including without limitation the eligibility of entries, are final and binding on all entrants in all matters as they relate to this Contest.
11. All Entries become property of Contest Sponsor who assumes no responsibility for garbled, lost, late, delayed, destroyed or misdirected mail, voice messages, e-mail or any computer errors or malfunctions. No correspondence will be entered into except with entrants requesting Rules by mail or requesting the names of the Prize winners (for which a self-addressed, postage paid envelope must be included). Contest Sponsor does not assume any responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry information, technical malfunctions, human or technical error. Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. If for any reason, in the opinion of the Contest Sponsor, in its sole discretion, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned, or if the administration, security, fairness, integrity or the proper conduct of the Contest is corrupted or adversely affected, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond their control, Contest Sponsor reserves its right to cancel, terminate, modify, amend, extend or suspend the Contest including canceling any method of entry, and select a winner from previously received eligible Entries. Contest Sponsor reserves its right to modify the Rules without materially affecting the terms and conditions hereof. The Contest Sponsor reserves its right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual they find to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Rules or otherwise in a disruptive manner. Any attempts to deliberately damage the Contest web site or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made the Contest Sponsor reserves its right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent of the law. Contest Sponsor shall not be held responsible for any errors or negligence that may arise or occur in connection with the Contest including any damage to an entrant’s computer equipment, system, software or any combination thereof, as a result of their participation in this Contest or from downloading or submitting any material from the Contest web site, where applicable.
13. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of the Contest Rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials, including but not limited to the Contest entry form, or point of sale, television, print or online advertising, the terms and conditions of the Contest Rules shall prevail, govern and control.
14. All intellectual property, including but not limited to trademarks, trade names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by the Contest Sponsor and/or its affiliates. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.